Self-Reflection in a Chaotic Time - 2020
Updated: Jan 15, 2021
There has been so much information shooting across our airwaves over the past few months between COVID and the current unrest that it makes my head hurt! I realized that with all the talk of white privilege I tend to vacillate between feeling guilty that I’m white and being defensive about it. Time to think it through . . .
What do I know to be true?
I've been asking God to shine a spotlight on my heart and show me what is right and true about myself and about the world we live in. Here's me—inviting you in—sharing my thoughts . . .
LOOKING AT MY OUTWARD APPEARANCE
God created me.
God made me white.
I just am. My whiteness is not “my fault.” I am not to feel guilty for being white. Or apologize for being white.
God does not look at my outward appearance, but at my heart.
- It is Satan who looks at the outward appearance.
- It is Satan who divides people in every way possible.
- It is Satan who shames and inflicts guilt.
“The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” I Sam 16:7b
LOOKING AT MY HEART
I am not perfect —and will never be perfect on my own
I have unmerited favor - I’m "privileged" because God has been gracious to me.
(Priviledge = an advantage that is completely out of my control)
- He has given me eternal salvation in spite of my imperfection.
- He entrusted my upbringing to parents He placed in America.
- He has blessed me with wonderful talents, opportunities, and resources.
I am responsible
- I am responsible before God to use the talents, opportunities, and resources He has given me to bless others as He calls me to.
- I am responsible to see all people the way God sees them — looking past their outward appearance, ideology, or political party to see their hearts.
- I am an ambassador of God’s Kingdom - My focus is to be on God and His Kingdom, and to do what He tells me to do
I repent (Greek=metanoó—change your mind]
- I repent for taking for granted all God has blessed me with.
- I repent for all the times I’ve missed the mark - times I did not use my given talents, opportunities, and resources when He prompted me to.
- I repent for all the times I did not look past ideology, skin color, or political party to see people the way He sees them - the hearts He created and loves.
I am forgiven
- When I repent, the blood of Jesus cleanses me from all sin. I am able to say that there is therefore now no condemnation for me because I am in Christ Jesus.
- Guilt and Shame have no hold on me because of what Jesus has done for me.
As I deal with my own heart issues, there is still conflict going on all around me. I want to see it from God's point of view, which can be difficult because of all the information flying to and fro around me. Again, what do I know to be true?
I must put on my “Spiritual glasses” to see that my real enemies are not flesh and blood!
LOOKING AT THE REAL ENEMY AND THE REAL BATTLE
I have an Adversary who has an agenda
- He is a liar and the Father of lies (John 8:44)
- He prowls around, seeking someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8)
- He comes to steal, kill and destroy (John 10:10)
- He accuses, day and night (Rev 12:10)
- He brings confusion, rivalry, strife, and every kind of evil (James 3:16)
I do not fight against flesh and blood (Ephesians 6)
- My Adversary has a well-organized army with principalities, powers, rulers of the darkness of this age, and spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
- They work together to carry out my Adversary’s agenda - the ultimate destruction of God’s intended order for individuals, families, churches, communities, countries
- Evil beings behind evil actions can be named - ie Fear, Accusation, Pride, etc.
- In Jesus' Name I have authority over the enemy and I must learn to use it
WHAT DO I SEE WHEN I LOOK AT OUR COUNTRY TODAY?
When I put on my spiritual glasses to see what's behind the attitudes and actions happening all around me, here are some of the very real enemies I see:
- I see Fear everywhere, hanging over us like a cloud
- I see Sickness and Death
- I see Confusion— people running to and fro looking for answers
- I see Accusation—people pointing fingers and accusing everyone else for everything
- I see Isolation - people separated from each other
Behind legitimate protests being hijacked by rioters and people with agendas
- I see Accusation, Judgementalism, Criticism
- I see Jealousy and Selfish Ambition
- I see Stealing
- I see Murder
- I see Destruction
- I see Confusion and Disorder
- I see Pride
- I see Lying
- I see Hate
WHAT WILL I DO?
I WILL RECOGNIZE THE REAL ENEMY (THE SPIRIT BEHIND THE ATTITUDES AND ACTIONS)
I WILL SEPARATE THE SIN FROM THE SINNER
BECAUSE GOD HATES SIN BUT LOVES THE SINNER
Other people are not my enemies. I must choose to hate the sin yet love the sinner. I must look beyond the people in front of me to discern the spirit behind their attitudes and actions!
I MUST FIGHT THE REAL ENEMIES, NOT FLESH AND BLOOD
I could listen empathetically to flesh and blood for hours and hours and barely make a dent in the problem. I could talk to flesh and blood til I'm blue in the face and make little difference. But along with the call to listen and share His thoughts with people (flesh and blood), God has given me effective weapons to fight the enemy underlying the attitudes and actions I see all around me. The weapons He has given me are effective - they are mighty to the pulling down of strongholds. I must choose to use them. (Ephesians 6:12-18)
I WILL START WITH THE BATTLEFIELD IN MY OWN MIND
My mind is a battlefield. The Enemy desires to impact my thoughts which lead to words and actions. Therefore, I think about what I am thinking about—and adjust my thoughts when necessary!
Join me to Think About Thinking